Sterly and Carling

Sterly and Carling
So in Love

Monday, December 20, 2010

Guess It is time

          Let me introduce myself.  My name is Carly and I am married to a wonderful man named Sterling.  I have thought of doing a blog before but I never have.  I am a busy Preschool Teacher that often thinks of many things to do, things that never seem to get done.  I am on Christmas Vacation and so I am starting a blog. 
          I had quite the year this year.  I am getting a second bachelor's degree, this one is in Elementary Education with an Early Childhood Education endorsement.  This was my first year as the Head Teacher in a Montessori Classroom (Not an easy thing I assure you!).  I worked with a girl who just had a baby so the last month has been insane.  I have had many subs and helpers in my classroom, which really makes it crazier than just being in there by myself at times.  It just really seems to set off 3,4 and 5 year olds when you are constantly changing their teacher's.  Who woulda thought?  There are 2 teachers and up to 20 kids in my classroom at any given time.  Sometimes we have a third teacher to help, and we almost always need that help!  I definitely work way more than the 40 hours a week I get paid for, but I absolutely love my very difficult stressful job. I don't want to leave my class but I really want to teach elementary school more than any other age group and I am working on getting there. Plus I will get paid twice as much for the same amount of work.
          I love the government in that way.  They have provided Head Start which is an absolutely amazing program, but they pay their teachers almost nothing.  Then they tell us that we are going to need to have a bachelor's degree to work at a job that pays us almost nothing.  If they don't fix this problem they are going to lose all their teachers soon, it is so sad, because those wonderful children deserve to have consistency in teachers and good teachers, not just the ones that couldn't get a job anywhere else.
          I read somewhere that the average person with a bachelor's degree makes 50,000 dollars a year in the U.S. but the average Head Start teacher I know, even those with bachelor's degree's, make about half of a beginning teachers salary in Utah (which is not very much to begin with). 
          Even though I don't plan on staying with Head Start for too much longer, I think we all need to petition to pay the hardworking teachers who are employed by Head Start a lot more for the work they do!!  Well I am out for tonight I will figure out this blog thing a little more over the next week.
CHOW AMIGOS

2 comments:

  1. Carly -- I miss you! I'm glad you are starting a blog so I can secretly stalk you and know all about your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Ranger Challenge, wow that brings back memories! Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete