Sterly and Carling

Sterly and Carling
So in Love

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Picture Boxes and other ways to learn Letter Sounds

Like I said before Concrete is the best at first.   If you can it is good to find things in their environment, say today you decided it is S day and you and your child are going to find everything in the house that starts with a ssss sound.  That is awesome and great phonemic awareness, and vocabulary building for your child.




Next you can work with s objects (find little objects, you can order online or find little things at the dollar store or Walmart or wherever.  Start Making collections of letter objects in little boxes, I like tupperware containers, or little travel soap containers, or even those organizers for hardware .  Have a box with all S objects and another with all M objects etc.  This is good for vocabulary building and for letter sounds.  As your child starts to understand the concept you can mix 2 boxes together and see if they can sort them apart (be careful if they are not ready for this then it can end up being a huge mess to clean up for you!)
Now it can be hard to find objects with the correct letter sounds (remember you only teach one letter sound for each letter at first), so if you don't have the resources to do objects then the next best thing is pictures.  I like to make picture boxes.  I bought 30 or so little travel soap containers from Walmart.  I put the little picture on the outside of the box (so they can clean it up by themselves easier)  Then I put a larger letter and larger separate pictures inside the box I did this for all the letters.  This was really helpful for kids to associate the sounds with the symbols of the letters.  I will put pics on the side so you can see what I am talking about.  Just as with the objects, once they have a good grasp on this let them mix two or three boxes of the pictures together and see if they can sort them by sound.  Email me if you would like my templates.

No comments:

Post a Comment