Sterly and Carling

Sterly and Carling
So in Love

Saturday, April 30, 2011

More Math For Beginners

For beginning counters I like to have this work in my classroom.  I keep it fresh by changing the objects out about once a month.  I usually just find something interesting and cheap in the seasonal section at Walmart. One time I did pretty little rocks, One time I did spiders (on sale in October), another time I did little icicle decorations (Winter).
Right now we are studying dinosaurs so I have a bunch of little dinosaurs.

All I do is get 15 objects and put them in a bowl or container.  Then I make a paper and laminate it or put it in a sheet protector that looks like this.

Then I let my kids put the objects on the sheet on the dots.  This activity is reinforcing what I have already taught with number rods, or what I showed you earlier with blocks. Kids and Math.  After they learn the quantity from these lessons they need to learn the symbols, this is a beginning lesson for the symbols 1-5.  Once they are starting to understand that I will give them this sheet.

I will let them look at the old one but use this one to put the objects on.  After some practice challenge your child to do it with out the sheet with dots.  Once they can do this they are ready to move on so make a sheet for 6-10.

No comments:

Post a Comment