Sterly and Carling

Sterly and Carling
So in Love

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Potty Training

I must admit this is not a subject I know a ton about.  We typically only have one or two kids in diapers in our class.  You can not force them, or tease them, or make them feel bad that they are not potty trained.  That doesn't work, it usually just hurts their self esteem.  There are some things that I usually do that seem to help.

First if the kid is old enough to potty train then they are old enough to stand up.  I know it can be a little challenging at first, but being able to stand on your own is a major accomplishment as a child.  If you let the child stand while they are being changed instead of laying down (the same as the day they were born), then you acknowledge that they are growing up and getting older.  Next, I don't do anything for them during changing that they can do for themselves.  They go and get the diaper, and the wipes for me I get myself some gloves.  I am very pleasant and I talk to them and ask them questions (really spend some quality time with them) while this whole process is going on.  I then ask them to take off their shoes and their pants.  It will be really hard for them at first but this is super positive for them.  Make sure they know how impressed you are when they can do things for themselves.


Of course it takes longer, but it is very good for the child.  Anything they really can't do I give just enough help that they can do the rest.  I let them undo the diaper, then I have them hold their shirt up and I take the diaper off and clean them up well.  I let them push the foot pedal on the diaper pail and I throw it away.  I then let them put the new diaper on as well as they can (sometimes I just give them underwear to wear, or at least a pull up) i make sure it is secure and on comfortably then I have them put their pants and shoes back on themselves.  I help them with buttons and ties only if needed.  I let them wash their own hands afterwards, and I wash mine.

If they are in underwear and they have an accident I use the same process I let them do everything I just am there to help if needed,  and I do the cleaning (to make sure they are really cleaned up well).  I have them wash their hands, then put on the new clothes that they got out of their backpack by themselves before we went to the bathroom area.


If they did not have the confidence to go to the bathroom on their own this will help them start to gain that confidence that they can do things for themselves. It helps them gain self esteem instead of tearing it down.  And although you won't ever really say it eventually they will start to understand that going to the bathroom in the toilet is much easier than the whole process of cleaning up when they don't.

Note- I really don't like diapers once they are old enough to potty train.  I don't really even like pull ups.  Yes they are convenient and help prevent some messes, but a child really understands the consequences in a more real to life way if they are just wearing underwear.  Especially if it is summer and they are playing outside a lot, they won't get stains on your nice couch or on your carpet.
Also- Make sure they are in appropriate clothing--  That is clothing that they can take off and put on by themselves.  They shouldn't need your help in order to go to the bathroom.  Do everything you can to make it a situation where they can do everything for themselves, even if it means keeping a stool in the bathroom so they can get on the toilet by themselves, or whatever will make the situation as user friendly to a child as possible.


And those are my thoughts-- Let me know if you have more ideas for potty training moms :)

Tip from a friend given to me was to have another child show your child how they go to the bathroom in the toilet.  Especially if your child looks up to that child that may help them want to go, or not be as afraid.  She also thinks it was super helpful to have someone else on her side like someone at the preschool or daycare talking to her child and encouraging them as well!

1 comment:

  1. Carly, thanks for posting this!!!! This has been a nightmare for me and my 3 year old son and you're so right, you cannot force them what-so- ever! Would you believe in the two days from me asking you for tips to now Mathew, has successfully gone potty at his babysitters and no diapers as of yet today!
    The trick for us was my friend having her 6 year old show Mathew how she goes potty in the toilet and then giving him that extra "push" and encouragement. Once he tried it a couple times and realized it's not scary, he's been good ever since!
    I honestly think it was most helpful that my friend or in your case someone at preschool was the one talking about it and encouraging it as well. For sure with Mathew at least, he knew he couldn't get away with the anti potty meltdown with my friend and in order to get out of it, he just had to do it :) It was a bit of a shocker I didn't go for his meltdown the first night back at home but I think we're definitely on the right track!

    Thank you again for all your knowledge and advice you provide!

    ReplyDelete